Recipes: Pasta and Eggplant Bake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 2 eggplant (750g), trimmed, thinly sliced lengthways
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2x 400g tubs creamy pasta salad – from supermarket deli
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, finely diced
- 1 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 cup basil pesto, to serve
- Green salad, to serve
- Heat a chargrill pan over a high heat. Spray eggplant slices with olive oil. Chargrill slices for 2 minutes or until charred and tender. Turn and char for 1 minute. Transfer to a large plate.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20cm loose bottom round cake pan with baking paper. Place onto a tray.
- Combine pasta salad, eggs, capsicum, basil, ¾ cup mozzarella and parmesan (reserving 2 tbs for topping). Season and stir until combined.
- Place a layer of eggplant over base of prepared cake pan, overlapping slightly. Spoon half the pasta mixture onto eggplant, spreading evenly and pressing down. Top with another layer of eggplant, remaining pasta mixture and remaining eggplant. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and parmesan over cake. Bake for 50 minutes or until top is golden and centre of cake feels firm to the touch. Stand for 10 minutes before removing from cake pan. Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with pesto and salad.